Saturday, January 7, 2012

Happy New Year, Friends!


Well, it's here: Twenty-Twelve!!!! Start stockpiling various materials for the inevitable fiery fate we'll all meet on December 21st of this very year! I'm already gathering small piles of blankets, canned food, and bottled water;  and also working out a plot to kidnap a dentist (hey, did you ever see the movie Cast Away!?  This girl won't be ripping out my own teeth when the inevitable cavity occurs).  In reality, I can't stand any of this doomsday talk.  It's annoying and useless, and much like in 2011 when the world was supposed to end, I'll see all of you fools the day after we're set to meet our  maker.  This world is harder to end than a re-occuring yeast infection, so I'm pretty sure we're not going anywhere. Let's get on to the stuff that matters: New Year's Resolutions!
Nothing screams "I'm setting myself up for failure that I'll spend the rest of the year feeling guilty for and going through a vicious cycle of self loathing" like a New Year's Resolution! I'm not big on the whole resolution business.  As stated above, I think it sets one up for failure.  Instead, I like to adjust my behavior as I notice things that need improvement.  For example, a few years ago, I realized that I was particularly fond of talking shit about myself.  My body, my mind, you name it, I talked shit about it.  Then I realized that this wasn't healthy behavior and that if I wanted someone to love me, I needed to love myself first.  So, I made a conscious effort every single day to stop myself once the self loathing began, and guess what?  It worked.  I can proudly say, I am never mean to myself.  This adjustment didn't come at the start of a new year; it was something that occured to me and I changed at that moment instead of waiting for a new year.  So, my little pumpkin pies, set yourself up for success. 



Here are two things I'm currently working on to better myself (FYI, I started these behaviors in November):

1. Developing an Attitude of Grattitude:  Many times, we take for granted the amazing blessings that are brought into our lives and start to develop a really negative mentality.  It's hard not to in these times, but nonetheless, it's no way to live.  I realized I was becoming extrodinarly ungrateful back in November, and decided to make an effort to instead, focus on the things I could be so grateful for (sunny California, my amazing family,  a smile from a stranger, etc.)  If we try, we can truly turn any negative situation into something we can be grateful for.  Try it!

2.  My posture:  While at work a few months ago, one of my fabulous co-workers grabbed my by both of my shoulders and pulled them both back so I was standing completely upright and told me I needed to stand like I have the confidence he knows I have.  It occured to me then that he was completely right!  I was hunched over like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons.  Not hot.  So, I have been making an effort to remind myself every single day to stand upright and push my shoulders back. 

I hope you all rang in the new year safely and with the ones you love most by your side.  Even though I worked New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, I got to kiss my hunny at midnight, and spend the weekend with my fabulous co-workers, so all in all, it was an amazing weekend!

What do you want to make an effort to change?

1 comment:

  1. i'm going to make an effort to fix MY blog b/c yours is OH so adorable and so now, i'll be fixing mine. <3

    ReplyDelete